Current version: 1.2
SuperVESAfb is a FrameBuffer driver for Linux boxes. It's intended to work with nearly all VESA 2.0-compliant graphic cards. It's based in the VESAFB driver from the kernel, but this allows to change the graphic mode 'on-the-fly', and even have each console with its own resolution and/or color depth.
The driver uses a little daemon, which calls the BIOS functions using the V86 mode. This daemon uses the LRMI library.
This driver works only in kernels 2.4.x. For 2.6.x series, just try the vesafb-ng driver.
Package in .tar.gz format (37 Kbytes)
History of versions
- version 1.2 ()
- Added all the last patches for the original VESAFB added in the lasts kernels
- version 1.1 ()
- Fixed a bug in the code that asigns the MTRRs
- version 1.0 ()
- The daemon can store the list of graphic modes, as a workaround for certaing bug in some BIOS (found in an nVidia card)
- version beta 5 ()
- The available graphic modes are sent by the daemon during boot time, instead of being hardcoded inside the driver during the compilation stage. This allows to distribute the driver in precompiled kernels, without worrying about what graphic card has the new machine
- version beta 4 ()
- Added a little workaround in FINDMODES.C to allow the driver to work with some buggy VESA BIOSes
- version beta 3 ()
- Now the driver can work in all the graphic modes supported by the graphic card, like 320x200 and more
- Added a second proc file (/proc/vesafbmodes) that shows all the resolutions and color depths supported by the graphic card (and the driver)
- Fixed some little bugs
- version beta 2 ()
- Fixed a lock in the daemon when returning from X (only the daemon locks, the system remains usable but maybe in an incorrect graphic mode)
- Now the daemon works fully asyncronous respect to the proccess that launched it, and while is running, it manages the palette changes to avoid conflicts in the I/O ports. When it exits (when it ends the mode change) is the driver itself who manages the new palette changes
- version beta 1 ()
- First public version
©1996-2017 Sergio Costas Rodríguez, Vigo. All rights reserved.